Monday, February 14, 2011

And this is why I (heart) Witches

A conversation between myself and Brother Christopher:

BC - "Happy Valentine's Day! Got any fun plans?"

Me - "Ugh. I hate this holiday. I'm going to spend the rest of the evening hiding in my apartment with a pint of ice cream and a box of wine. What've you got going on?"

BC - "I bought a bunch of silly, Disney-themed cards and blessed them on an altar dedicated to Aphrodite. Later, I'm going to hit the town and hand them out to random strangers."

[beat]

Me - "You completely freakin' win."

BC - "Yeah. I know."

Officially, I still hate this holiday. But off the record, Brother Christopher smacked me upside the head with a nice, hefty clue-by-four, reminding me that the world can be a hell of a lot of fun, provided one doesn't take certain things too seriously, stubbornly or pessimistically.

Such as oneself.

So Happy Valentine's Day, dagnabbit. Now cue the music.

11 comments:

usedkey said...

Brother Christopher, you can't see it, but I'm kneeling at your altar, in homage of your *awesome* V-Day plans!

Veles said...

Wow.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Clearly, Brother Christopher ROCKS!

Brother Christopher said...

*blushes* aw, shucks

Evn said...

@Brother Christopher: I told you you were getting rave reviews. (grin)

And I want one o' them cards.

Bo said...

Massive hugs---and I loved the Thing you emailed me. Nuff said. xx

Evn said...

Bo, you just made my day. Massive hugs back.

Red Delicious said...

"If you think of birthdays as a metaphor for friendship, you can see by this Transformer card here that it's time for ours to become a man by reading from the Torah."

Mrs. Drinkwalter said...

Our friend next door says of Valentine's Day: "Wear black. Stone the village happy couple." I thought it sounded a little extreme, actually ... little dog and I had a nice, affectionate evening.

Dr. E. said...

He came to my house and gave me a Snow White valentine. It was the highlight of my single, alone, sad Valentine's day. ;-)

knottybynature said...

To entertain himself, I had this friend who would drive through the college parking lots, handing out candy to totally random women. Some would take it, some would look at him like he was crazy and scoot away from his jeep. He's lean Waaaayyy out the door and say, "Hey, want some candy?"

Not coincidentally, the candy he handed out were 'dum dum' suckers. Whether he got rejected or someone took him up on it, it was still fun.