Sunday, January 09, 2011

Quote o' the Moment - Try Not to Smile

"I arrive at the front of the supermarket. Now I have twenty-one candles to stack up on the counter. The people behind me wait impatiently for me to finish lining them up. The people in front of me get out of my way quickly. The black woman behind me asks, "Why you buying all them candles?" I answer, "Because they're cheaper here." The Latin cashier rings up seven Guadalupes--three green, three white, and one bright pink. She looks at me quickly and lowers her eyes. Gold Caridads. Red Miguels. Blue Reglas, and a host of others, unmarked, unnamed.

"I walk out of the store to the music of candles dancing and change jiggling in my pocket. Before I get to the car I hear the woman who was behind me say to her husband, "She ain't fooling nobody, that woman working magic with those candles." She knows. I turn around and look at her. We both try not to smile."

-Luisah Teish

6 comments:

Pallas Renatus said...

Ahh, I love it. Still, better than a disapproving glare.

Veles said...

"Are you a witch? Chalice, thurrible, knives...they're all witches tools, you know?"

chrysalis1witchesjourney said...

I love what I've read of Teish's work, where did this one come from?

Cat Chapin-Bishop said...

Oooh, that's a fun story.

knottybynature said...

That's great! :D

Liz said...

Oh Gawd, how I miss the Voodoo store on Claiborne St. in New Orleans...candles for your every need.