Thursday, December 02, 2010

The Show Must Go On

Last night, I dreamt that my parents and I went on a road trip to an unspecified destination. After a day of driving, we settled into a roadside motel, then decided to go see a show.

We walked to a nearby university, which was putting on a production in a large, tiered, auditorium-style classroom. We found our seats, the lights dimmed, and a troupe of drag queens entered. Apparently, they'd created an improvisational, comedic play based on my dating history.

I would like to add a standard "...and then I woke up" at this point, but that doesn't adequately cover what happened next. I did wake up, confused and needing to use the bathroom, but after I took care of business and flopped back into bed, I found myself back in the auditorium.

The drag queens were busy with a scene change when my mother's cell phone rang. She answered it, which understandably riled the audience members around her. However, the phone call turned out to be for one of the performers, so my mother snuck down an aisle to relay the message. "Gertrude," she stage-whispered, "Psst, Gertrude. Don't forget to feed the cats."

Upon hearing this, a techie drag queen swung a spotlight around and focused it on my mother, who seemed surprised but pleased at the sudden attention. Another drag queen handed her a martini, and my mom gamely became part of the show. And that's where I woke up again.

I crawled out of bed, drank a glass of water, took an antacid and fell back asleep. The play was well into Act II, and the drag queens were in the midst of a dramatic interpretation of the Cajun incident, much to the audiences' delight.

This went on well into the early morning: Wake up, toss and turn for a bit, fall back asleep, wander around the auditorium and run into a couple of friends, then take them to meet my parents; wake up, use the bathroom again, fall back asleep, then have a fellow audience member fuss at me for forgetting to silence my own cell phone.

I've had recurring dreams before, but I've never had a real-time, chronological dream that kept picking up where it left off. I'm inclined to wonder if there's some deep, Jungian meaning to the whole thing, but I suspect it's more likely that my subconscious just got bored and decided to fuck with me.

5 comments:

Brother Christopher said...

I love those dreams when they happen. That was wonderful.

I would say, it seems like a recounting of events, perhaps in a way meant to help you learn something or another from all of this.

I know, LEARNING, ewww

Code Name Sarah said...

Oh, that's awesome. Don't analyze it too much. Just script it & put on a floor show re-enactment!

Deborah said...

Jung 101: Mother = Anima
Drag Queen = Evn

Discuss.

chrysalis1witchesjourney said...

So was there a Drag Queen Evn or were the Drag Queens a sort of Greek Chorus to actors portraying you and The Men?

Also, you mention antacid and water... did you eat something that might have stirred your biochemistry and thus the darkly surreal and slightly Freudian/Ziegfeldian parts of your psyche?

Pax

wv = fluestro, which is when you have a case of the flu and your medication combines with your fever to unleash the most sequined parts of your subconscious.

Pallas Renatus said...

Dude, I would totally pay money to see that play. Odd that I've recently been having "walk-in-walk-out" dreams as well, though.