Friday, June 04, 2010

This is why I love my friends

Seeing as how my affection for b-rated horror movies is common knowledge, I feel no shame in admitting that Angel Heart is one of my all-time favorite films. I mean, hey, Voodoo, Satanism, gratuitous nudity and Di Nero as the Devil: What's not to love?

Occultism and nipples aside, there's one moment in Angel Heart that never fails to crack me up. It's a scene between Margaret Krusemark (played by Charlotte Rampling) and Harry Angel (played by a steamy Mickey Rourke, before he had his eyebrows surgically repositioned to the top of his head):

Margaret - "Do you want some tea?"

Harry - "Oh, yes. Thank you."

Margaret - "Darjeeling, jasmine or oolong?"

Harry - "Oolong."

Margaret - "Not many people like oolong."

Okay, I know this doesn't seem hilarious at face value, but you have to understand how Rampling, in character, pronounces the word "oolong." She attacks the first syllable with this weird, Creole/generic European accent, so instead of "oolong," it comes out "euhrlong." With that in mind, let's look at the dialogue again:

Margaret - "Do you want some tea?"

Harry - "Oh, yes. Thank you."

Margaret - "Darjeeling, jasmine or euhrlong?"

Harry - "Oolong."

Margaret - "Not many people like euhrlong."

Okay, okay, so nobody thinks this is funny but me. Regardless, it's a memorable scene, fraught with Tension and Symbolism. Okay, so it's not. But it makes me giggle, and that's what counts.

All that aside, my compatriot Veles and his co-Witch Aithne are staying at my place for the next few days. As they were settling in last night, I asked if they'd like some tea.

"Sure," Veles said. "What kind do you have?"

"Well, let's see," I replied, digging through my pantry. "I've got green tea, Irish Breakfast, chamomile and... euhrlong."

And then (I swear I'm not making this up), Veles and Aithne screamed, in perfect unison, "OH MY GOD, ANGEL HEART IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER."

Keepers? I vote yes.

14 comments:

temperance said...

Definitely keepers. And OMG! Angel Heart, for all those reasons and more, is one of my all-time favorites.

(ETA: My verification word is "suroger," which sounds both vaguely French and vaguely obscene. This is very appropriate.)

Evn said...

Suroger = what Margaret uses to sweeten her oolong.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The joy of kindred spirits!

Deinos said...

I love it when things like that happen!

trothwy said...

Hilarious synchronicity! Tell Veles and Aithne hi from me.

Evn said...

Debra: 'Tis a joy indeed. :)

Deinos: Me too! I may have to make a rule that it happen more often.

Trothwy: I read your comment to Veles and Aithne, and they said (again in unison), "Awwww, HI TROTHWY!!"

WV = ingskat. Quoth Veles, "Something Magical! Which I have just decreed. Now with more famous."

Sadly, I'm the only one drinking right now.

(Veles: "Essence of ingskat. Heh." Someone write that down and commission a potion or something.)

Centaur Cunningman said...

love it!

Siobhan said...

it's the little things like this that make you realize what true friendship is :D.

Veles said...

Best 5 days of my life!

Can't wait to do it again!

Aithne said...

It was a fabulous weekend.

Looking forward to hanging out again.

(And Robert DiNero makes the hottest Lucifer I've ever seen)

Bo said...

I watched it as a result of this!!! Eurlong!!! xx

Evn said...

LOL Did you enjoy it?

Bo said...

Yep! Charlotte R. is faaaaaaahbulous.

Evn said...

And Mickey Rourke, before the plastic surgery...?