Sunday, June 20, 2010

Quote o' the Moment - I want to be a Satyr

"The God of Wild Places disappeared two thousand years ago... A sailor off the coast of Ephesos heard a mysterious voice crying out from the shore, 'Tell them the great god Pan has died!' When humans heard the news, they believed it. They've been pillaging Pan's kingdom ever since. But for the satyrs, Pan was our lord and master. He protected us and the wild places of the earth. We refuse to believe that he died. In every generation, the bravest satyrs pledge their lives to finding Pan. They search the earth, exploring all the wildest places, hoping to find where he is hidden, and wake him from his sleep."

-Rick Riordan

5 comments:

Jarred said...

I love that series of books, and the "search for Pan" subplot was awesome.

Granted, I like the short story I wrote that involves satyrs, better....;-P

Evn said...

Finished The Lightning Thief this morning, looking forward to The Sea of Monsters.

A short story involving satyrs? I am intrigued...

Yewtree said...

Apparently there was a mystery cult on that island that regarded Pan as a dying and resurrecting vegetation god, so the lament was for his annual death, not because he had ceased to exist. Of course the followers of the Pale Galilean milked it for all it was worth...

Thalia said...

...while stealing the 'dying and resurrection' bit and making it, incomprehensibly, linear.

Evn said...

Yewtree: I was unaware of this! And you'd think I'd be all over the mystery cults...

Thalia: I know, right? I mean, what's the point of resurrection if you only get to do it once?

(And I so totally owe you an e-mail. Please don't smite me for tardiness.)