Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Tuesday Trivia - Cult Classics and a Hidden Theme

(Hidden theme solved by Nettle and Red Delicious.)

1. A humanoid alien comes to Earth with a warning. (Solved by Nettle.)

2. 1930's serial film, remade with a little Queen. (Solved by Nettle and Deinos.)

3. Although it was his first American screen appearance, only his voice is heard until the end of the film.
(Solved by Melville.)

4. The Tempest. With a robot. (Solved by Veles.)

5. "I don't think it would be too amusing for the youngsters if I conjured up a demon from hell for them."
(Solved by Veles.)

6. Part of the title became a British term to describe large or menacing plants.
(Solved by Veles.)

7. The ship's passengers are chosen by lottery. (Solved by Deinos)

19 comments:

Kitty said...

Is #7 Cocoon?

Evn said...

Nope. Older.

Veles said...

# 5 is Night of the Demon

Veles said...

#6 The Day of the Triffids? There was a sequel called The Night of the Triffids.

Evn said...

Correct on both counts.

Veles said...

And I think #4 is Forbidden Planet. ;)

Evn said...

I think it is, too.

Nettle said...

#2 - Flash... aaah-aaaah - that would be Flash Gordon.

Is #1 The Day the Earth Stood Still?

Deinos said...

Is #2 Flash Gordon?

melville22000 said...

#3 is Claude Rains in The Invisible Man

Deinos said...

Drat! I forgot the word verification the first time. I had it, I really did.

So, I'll try again with #7: When Worlds Collide?

nettle said...

oooh, I think I'm getting the theme... because melville22000's answer made me sing a line from a song in my head...

Red Delicious said...

I'm too late for all of this, but you're right, it's the song.

Evn's gonna give you some terrible thrills...

melville22000 said...

oooh, I think I'm getting the theme... because melville22000's answer made me sing a line from a song in my head...

Joe Jackson songs?

Evn said...

There was a brief power outtage in my area, so I'm just now getting caught up.

Reddy D, want to go ahead and call the theme? (Note to Melville: It's not Joe Jackson songs.) Or how about posting a YouTube link?

nettle said...

gee, I'd like to watch a science fiction double feature after all that!

(at work so youtube linking will have to be done by another. but we could all sing along... )

Evn said...

Yup, you and Red Delicious nailed it. I'll post a video as soon as I get home.

Red Delicious said...

This version is fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lywvXZSCFI

Janet said...

I realize they've all been solved, but I had 1,2,4, and 6, and the hidden theme is "movies mentioned in the Rocky Horror opening song".

My verification word is "scersel", which sounds like an obscure Asatru rite to me...