Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Tuesday Trivia 2.0

For the past four years, Deborah has hosted a weekly movie trivia quiz on her blog. It was a smash success and a jolly old time from the very beginning, but unfortunately, Deborah's super-swamped with work and outside projects, and needed to suspend the game indefinitely.

But never fear, Loyal Property-of-a-Ladyites! Me being afflicted with a chronic impulse disorder an altruistic go-getter, I volunteered to host the show from here on out. Below you'll find seven clues to seven movies. Post your guesses in the comments section; hints (if necessary) will go up tomorrow, and the answers will be revealed on Thursday.

In keeping with the nature of my own blog, this week's theme is Religious Strife. En garde!

---

1. Takes place at a boarding school. According to my Fundamentalist aunt, the lead actor "isn't Jewish in real life." (Solved by Melville.)

2. He fights with a big-ass sword. She fights with a bear claw dipped in poison. It's pretty much a tie. (Solved by Miakoda.)

3. Two of the Witches appeared together in a later film, this time as an ex-wife and a trophy wife. (Solved by Cat.)

4. Ironically, the actor portraying the Catholic priest went on to play Satan in his next movie. (Solved by Miakoda.)

5. "Once he even tried to ravish me disguised as a cuttlefish." "Did he succeed?"
(Solved by Veles.)

6. She forgot to attend church on the first day of Lent. Fortunately, there are ashes in the fireplace. (Solved by Veles.)

7. The orgy scene alone took three weeks to film. (Solved by Kitty.)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Evn. *looks around* Nice place you have here.

Is #1 "School Ties?"

Your blog won't accept my LiveJournal ID, giving me an error message. This is Melville.

Evn said...

Heya Melville, welcome aboard. Weird about the LiveJournal thing--do you have a Google account? (PS: You're correct.)

Anonymous said...

No, no Google account. This happened at George's blog, "I'm Not One To Blog," last week, too. Oh well, I'll just have to remember to sign my posts here.

-Melville

Evn said...

Or you could just be Anonymous, and we can pretend we're all 4chan.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow, these are hard. Could #3 be The Witches of Eastwick?

Evn said...

Nope, but good guess.

Cat said...

*delurks*

#3 is totally Hocus Pocus.

I shall now wander off to ponder the others and try not be sidetracked by my love of Bette Midler... Oh look, a copy of Isn't She Great! *iz distracted*

miakoda said...

#2 is my favorite bad movie, The 13th Warrior. Byliwyf and the Mother. Hee.

I'm guessing #4 is Stigmata, another favorite. (Gabriel Byrne?)

Anonymous said...

Taking a guess, since I've never seen the movie, but is #7 Ken Russell's The Devils (the only movie about Religious Strife I can think of that I believe features an orgy)?

-Melville

(It's ironic that I can't use my LJ id here. I almost never post on my journal, I only got the account so I could respond to my friends on LJ, and on blogs like this.)

Veles said...

Hi Evn! Coming over to your blog from The Unnamed Path.

5. Clash of the Titans

6. Season of the Witch

Evn said...

Cat, good job.

Miakoda, correct on both counts.

Melville... not so much. Number 7 may be a bit vague; I'll throw out a really good hint tomorrow if no one gets it.

Evn said...

Veles, I didn't think anyone was going to get #6.

Veles said...

It's one of my favorite movies!!

BTW, I'm the one from Waco. ;)

Evn said...

It's one of my favorites, too! And OH, okay, I totally know you. :)

miakoda said...

Hmm... #7 wouldn't be the original Wicker Man, would it? I'm thinking of the sexy outdoors shenanigans on the first night. It's the only orgy-ish scene that comes to mind...

Evn said...

It's not, but I can't believe I didn't think to include The Wicker Man on this list. It' would've fit perfectly.

Thalia Took said...

#7 isn't Caligula, is it? Not sure that's about religious strife, though.

Evn said...

#7's a little more Old Testament, actually...

Veles said...

Is #7 Solomon and Sheba?

Evn said...

Alas, it's not. But you're on the right track.

Kitty said...

Could #7 be the Ten Commandments by DeMille?

Evn said...

Well somebody knows her Biblical epics. 'Atta Witch!

Kitty said...

I mean, do you know what kind of hits you get when you google 'three week orgy scene'? I learned A LOT today!