Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Mind for Sin and a Card for Business

Feeling a bit craftier than usual, I signed up for the 2009 Creative Every Day project, the purpose of which is self-explanatory. I've actually been doing a good job of keeping up with it, from writing to cautious cooking attempts to thoughtfully rearranging my bookshelves. It's been a creativity smörgåsbord over here at Chéz Evn, and I'm ready to get more ambitious... by designing my own business cards.

I'm not (that) ashamed to admit I've had a lifelong love affair with business cards. I collected them as a little kid, and on my seventh birthday, my parents gave me a photo album to display the several hundred I'd amassed. Soon after, calling cards became all the rage with the grammar school set, and I was thrilled when my mother dutifully whisked us off to the print shop.

My brother's cards were decorated with footballs, while mine sported tiny rainbows. Because even then I was a big homo.

As an adult, I keep my professional business cards on me at all times, and I proudly hand them out to anyone who gets within twenty feet of me. But I've realized that a card announcing me as "Manager of Online Customer Support" doesn't have quite the right effect at, say, a pub moot, or a psychic fair. Plus I don't want the Pagans knowing my legal name. And I'd like to be able to list the more esoteric titles I've earned over the years:

Priest

Witch

Ordained Clergyperson

Honorary Adviser to the Archdruids

Second Horseman of the Geomantic Apocalypse

Notary Public

My credentials may be firmly established, but now I need a logo of some kind, and I'm not having much luck in that department. I found this nifty dancing devil which I like a lot--I'm thinking the end of the pitchfork could be worked into a stylized "E." But then, most people don't have the same nostalgia for devils that I do. I briefly considered using that famous woodcut of Robin Goodfellow, the upside being that it simply screams Witchcraft, and the downside being that it also screams "Look, a penis!" So maybe not so much.

I'm currently toying with the various symbols associated with Efnysien in the Mabinogion--cauldrons, bags of flour, dead horses--but nothing is really jumping out at me. So, Strifemongers, I humbly invoke your aesthetics: If you were my logo, what would you look like?

28 comments:

Curious Curandera said...

I like the images from the Mexican bingo cards.... the heart

Evn said...

I never would have thought of those. Excellent idea!

Red Delicious said...

You have had a great number of adventures in your life, so it's hard to boil it down to just one thing (a disappointed Episcopalian, perhaps? a cat curiously eyeing a bottle of booze and the LITTLE ME soundtrack? Rassul?)

In the end, though, I think it should be this:

http://www.99centplusonline.com/School/Binder15HardBlack.JPG

Because in the end, it all comes back to the interp binder.

Evn said...

RASSUL DOES NOT COUNT AS AN ADVENTURE.

But oooh, interp binder! I like it.

Le Cornichon said...

Hmm, how about the symbol for Da'ath? in Hebrew letters naturally, quite decorative. I like Crowley's interpretation of this particular -the 11th or hidden- sephira,the Abyss,as representing the fall of man (as in Genesis) from a unified consciousness into a duality between ego and divine nature http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abyss_(Thelema)

Le Cornichon said...

... or then there is Goya's image of Saturn- or Cronus- devouring his child- that's an attention grabber

Evn said...

I like where you're going with Da'ath, although I'm not familiar with the actual symbol. (I can Witch it up like nobody's business, but my ADD kicks in every time I try to study Qabalah; Madonna I ain't.) Could you send me a jpeg?

On the other hand, Goya is brilliant. Perhaps I'll add little arrows that read "NeoPagans" and "Me"...

Siobhan said...

If you have a friend capable of designing it, how about a capital "E" with mistletoe twined around, and geomantic dots on the tines of the E. Maybe in a nice flame color.

I'd do it, but my designing computer (aka "the desktop") is out of commission for a while.

Siobhan said...

and this may be a personal fetish, but I've found it's hard to go wrong with dragons.

Evn said...

I don't like dragons, but I love geomancy. And mistletoe. And fetishes. Good show.

(And flame colors.)

Siobhan said...

I don't like dragons, but I love geomancy. And mistletoe. And fetishes.

Yeah, I was trying to incorporate everything into the "E". Still trying to figure out how the get the notary public seal in it.

Evn said...

Just send the final draft to me and I'll stamp it. (grin)

Pax said...

Well Evn,

It's not just that the woodcut of Robin Goodfellow screams "Look, a penis!" it screams, "Look, a sharp and pointy penis that looks vaguely like a root vegetable!"

I'm rather certain that, that, is SO NOT the message your trying to send...

Maybe you could combine your current quest for a logo with your recent apotheosis as the Angel of Snarkness? Something sygil-like perhaps involving a stylized E and looking vaguely Enochian or Ve-ve like?

Peace,
Pax

cynthia said...

Hands up Robin Goodfellow.

Evn said...

Noted!

Evn said...

Something sygil-like perhaps involving a stylized E and looking vaguely Enochian or Ve-ve like?

Pax, you're going to make an excellent Chief Priest of my cult. I can tell.

knottybynature said...

Whatever symbols, geomantic designs, or archetypes you put on it....

....it should be shiny. Definately shiny. Maybe even glittery.

Evn said...

Sparkles do make everything better...

Pax, Chief Priest to the Angel of Snarkness said...

So to recap...

Stylized "E"
flame colors,
glitter,
mistletoe,
geomantic,
fetishy, (any particular types?)
with a sygil-ly enochian or ve-ve vibe to it...

Word Verification = "tedand"

Tedand = the special effects sound effect when the Evn's business card icon/sygil/mark is finally unleashed on an unsuspecting world!

Evn said...

Yep. "Tedand" is a lot like "Ta-da!" But more awesome.

Siobhan said...

and geomantic dots on the tines of the "E"!

Yewtree said...

I was thinking of a veve.

Evn said...

Hmmm, multiple votes for veves. Definitely something to consider.

knottybynature said...

Veve....

Hmm. If you want continuously vibrate, well....

No. I don't think I'll go there. Save for I would suggest a plug-in or pull start as opposed to just batteries.

Siobhan said...

ok, I stole some time from work, and threw something not entirely ugly together. How do I get it to you?

Evn said...

loverofstrife@yahoo.com

(Very exciting! Can't wait to see it.)

Siobhan said...

I sent card version 2. Have fun!

Evn said...

Excellent, thanks!