Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I never know when to stop talking

A friend of mine, one with no particular interest in Paganism, asked why my e-mails always show up as sent from "Evn."

What I should have said:

"It's my screen name."

What I said instead:

"It's short for Evnissyen. See, England's Anti-Witchcraft Law of 1735 was repealed in 1951, and in 1954, a retired civil servant named Gerald Gardner wrote a book..." followed by a 10-minute dissertation on the history of Wicca.

How I even have any friends is a mystery to me.

3 comments:

Siobhan said...

I can't tell you how many questions I got about "never moon". And how until today (when I realized I could change my display name) I answered answer "I set it up when I was going through a really terrible and overly dramatic stage in my life, I was very young, here's my life story, yadda yadda yadda."

When what I should have said was "oh that? set it up a while ago, can't figure out how to change it."

Note: the short answer almost certainly would have led to me learning how to change it MUCH sooner.

Evn said...

The main reason I started going by Evn was to avoid these situations, i.e. "What's you're name?" "Evn." The end. But no, I have to explain everything. Meh.

knottybynature said...

The best of friends always want the long story anyway. It makes you more interesting and shows you yes, your friends are nerds too because they actually listen raptly, waiting for you to finish.

As for the ones that get that glazed over look, just kind of nudge them and they'll fall over, dust themselves off, then ask you to continue.