Monday, October 27, 2008

Would you light my candle?

Tomorrow marks the beginning of Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Lights, and my neighbors have been decorating.

Jack, keenly aware of (and not entirely put off by) my love of Things Ganesh, has been keeping me abreast of their progress.

"Did you see?" He asked me yesterday afternoon. "They hung up a banner! Go take a look at it."

I took a look at it. It was very nice. And this morning, when I called from the office to check in and say howdy, Jack was eager to report new developments.

"There's a candle by their front door now," he said, "And there are these cute little footprint stickers all around their welcome mat."

"I know," I said.

"How do you know?" he asked.

"Because I saw the stickers last night," I replied. "When I was setting the candle."

Considering how much of an interest he's taken in our neighbor's Diwali preparations, I'm not quite sure why he chose to respond to my last statement with prolonged silence. But I'm also thinking it would be best not to tell him about pouring the offering of milk. Or where I did so.

3 comments:

knottybynature said...

What, no pictures here?

beweaver said...

Bwahahahahaha

You so funny...

Evn said...

Knotty, I don't have a camera at the moment--Jack's brother accidentally trashed it. But I did let the neighbors keep the candle (I fessed up to them last night).