Sunday, October 05, 2008

Priceless

Discovered by Co-Witch B. while shopping online:


Now this is what we should have done with all the extra water Co-Witch A. and I stockpiled before the hurricane. I'm eyeing my bowl of blessed salt and a box of plastic baggies and thinking, Link sell! Link sell!

Jokey-jokes aside, it's worth pointing out that money and magic do not mix within the Gardnerian tradition. You work a spell because there is a need, not because there's an opportunity for profit; you train and initiate apprentices because they are where they're supposed to be, not because they're untapped financial resources.

With this in mind, we can safely assume that whoever blessed this water (if anyone actually did) is not Gardnerian.

And for the record, there is absolutely, positively nothing wrong with practicing a form of Wicca that does not have ties to the illustrious Gerald Gardner. I'm serious. If your particular Wiccan practice, regardless of its history, brings you spiritual fulfillment, then by all means keep doing what you're doing. You don't need Gardnerian roots to make it "valid": What makes it "valid" is that it works... or, on a more intimate level, that it works for you. And you have my permission to tell anyone who says otherwise to bugger off.

On the other hand, if you feel obliged to ride another tradition's coattails--Gardnerian, Alexandrian, or something founded down the street from you last week--in order for your practice to be outwardly perceived as "legitimate" (or to sell little bottles of tap water on your Web site), then you're emphatically off-track. Do whatever it is you do because you love it, because it makes you happy, because it brings you closer to the Gods. Or don't bother doing it at all.

And above all else, please don't slap a price tag on it. If you subscribe to the mindset that Wicca can be defined in terms of monetary value, then I guarantee you can't afford it.

7 comments:

Thalia Took said...

Well I never considered myself a Gardnerian until...

Check out the name of the second writer. Coincidence? I hope not!

Evn said...

Oh that's just freaky.

I mean, Gardner died two years before The Monkees premiered, but still...

Let's see how many times we can work Wiccan terminology into Monkees' lyrics!

Anne Johnson said...

I could almost write a blog post about this myself! Whenever I have a water supply from Berkeley Springs, I take it to Druid ritual for use in the service. Sell it? I'd be afraid the bad faeries would lead me into a bog and drown me!

The same holds true for my miraculous wine cork. It has an absolute likeness of the Green Man on it. I could start charging pilgrims to come and pray to it, but I haven't gotten that desperate... yet.

Evn said...

I admit to being strangely intrigued by the miraculous Green Man cork...

Thalia Took said...

Let's see how many times we can work Wiccan terminology into Monkees' lyrics!

Great. Like I need another hobby.

What's cracking me up is that there's no way you knew exactly when Gerald Gardner (the Wiccan one) died so I know you had to go and look it up.

Just like I did.

knottybynature said...

I love gathering to honor the gods.

But ritual for magic? Only in need. I'm really too afraid that I will screw things up and get a strange side-effect (this happened in the very beginning).

So I kind of shy away from major magic unless there's a serious need and I've thought through the possibilities. Not the kind of witch to just randomly decide to spellcast (and I've seen some do this, to my annoyance...because a few weeks later, they can't understand WHY things are going so badly for them). I'm too worried about screwing things up.

Which goes back to the idea of putting a price on magic. I do tarot for 'love offerings' (if people wish to give me something, coolness, but if not, then I don't worry either way), but have never charged anything for helping with spells and the like.

We don't charge for 'blessing'- no one should charge for something spiritual.

Pitch313 said...

What kind of a witch would have to buy water that was "holy" in the first place?

How I learned Craft, the waters of the Earth are sacred and sanctifying by Nature. They don't need no "blessing" by some clergykind.

O My Goddess, we can do our own workings!!!