Friday, July 11, 2008

The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of Beer

Maybe it's some weird disassociative thing from spending too much time around my parents, or job stress, or being a little freaked out about working my first psychic fair tomorrow. Whatever the reason, I've had a song stuck in my head all day.

I learned it years ago, from the very first Pagan I ever met. She was smart and funny and and down-to-earth and had a really good grip on nutrition, and she's why I've stuck with Paganism, on account of I thought all Pagans would be like her.

Turns out, not so much. But I ended up Pagan anyway, and now I can't stop singing this song.

The lyrics are as follows. The tune will become readily apparent:

Do, is what I buy beer with,
Re, the guy who sells my beer,
Mi, is who I buy beer for,
Fa, where the bathroom is from here,
So, I think I'll have a beer,
La, la la la la la beer,
Ti, no thanks I'll have a beer,
And that brings us back to
Beer beer beer beer Do.


Feel free to sing along. I don't have any beer, but but Jack probably wouldn't mind if you took one of his 5-Hour Energy shots.

9 comments:

Anne Johnson said...

Made Anne laugh!

Evn said...

That's m' job!

Anonymous said...

I learned the last line as:
"And that brings us back to
Do, for more beer!"

*wink*

Evn said...

MUCH better!

Yvonne said...

One of my favourite songs (to the Russian tune of Malinka):

If we drink, we will die
If we don't drink, we will die
So we might as well
Say what the hell
And raise our glasses high.
Oy!

Evn said...

Nice! Any song that ends in "Oy!" should automatically be granted a Grammy.

Mertseger said...

Some other troublemaker in the community once recorded a version of "We all come from the Goddess" which began "We all come from Milwaukee". Unfortunately, the track has apparently never slunk its way onto the web. I only heard once on tape at Francesca De Grandis'. I believe it went:

"We all come from Milwaukee,
And to Her we shall return
Like a stream of beer
Flowing to the ocean."

And then the Goddess names were all brands of beer (Tecate for Hecate, obviously).

Evn said...

Truly fabulous. And irreverent. And indirectly strife-mongerish. I shall scour the Web for the lyrics post-haste.

Mertseger said...

I immediately tried searching for the lyrics when I thought of it, but there's no trace I can find. IIRC, I heard the tape a couple of years before the Internet went big.

There is, however, a marvelous ancient Sumerian drinking song in Wolkstein's Inanna:

"Enki and Inanna drank beer together.
They drank more beer together.
They drank more and more beer together.
With bronze vessels filled to overflowing,
With vessels of Urash, Mother of the Earth,
They toasted each other. They challenged each other."

I put a melody to it, and used to sing it with my guitar. Just keep repeating until everyone is sloshed in memory of Inanna drinking Enki under the table. I can't remember the three chords now, though.