Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Yuletide Cheer (Now with less bitching!)

This is the time of year when my company's suppliers start sending us pre-printed Christmas cards--festive little reminders to please keep pimping their wares on our clients. Most feature warm but innocuous sentiments, secular to the Nth degree: "Happy December from your friends at Big Ass Cruise Line Conglomerate!"

I was loitering around our receptionist's desk, flipping through the cards and admiring the various pine tree and snowflake designs, when I came across one with intriguing Anglo-Saxon knotwork on the cover. Opening it up, I discovered that it was from a small European-based tour operator, who wanted to wish us "The very best this Winter Solstice."

Made my day, that did. I'm sure they were just aiming for a broad, inoffensive seasonal greeting, but it makes me happier to think that a roving band of Pagan graphic designers overthrew their PR department.

On a (kind of) related note, are there any country music singers who have not recorded a version of "O Holy Night"? It's actually one of my favorite carols, but if I turn on the radio and hear another nasal "Oh naaaaht, when Chrahst wuz berrrrrn," I'm going to eat a baby.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

"Eat a baby" is less bitching?

Evn said...

It's a free-range, organic baby. And it's 65% soy. More of a tofaby, really...

Georges! said...

I have a Christmas tree in my classroom. The kids were fucking with it so during naptime I hot glued eyes to the trunk. When the kids awoke I told them the tree was communicating telepathically with Santa and reporting on their behavior.

Evn said...

Georges, it scares me that someone put you in charge of children. You're going to raise them as a loyal army of crossdressers. I can tell.