Monday, December 17, 2007

If a tree falls in the office...

Yesterday turned out to be Show Us Your Blogspace Day. I wasn't tagged to participate, but this morning I decided that my cubicle deserved to be included:


The photo resolution is a bit low, so let me highlight a few points of interest. There's my carousel goat ornament; a little framed portrait of Ganesha made out of crushed gemstones; Jack's "Keep Austin Weird" baseball cap; a souvenir puck from the Hockey Hall of Fame; oh, and...

A GIANT FUCKING CHRISTMAS TREE DANGLING OVER MY DESK.

Um, yeah.

We're in the midst of a company-wide cubicle decorating contest, and my department settled on How The Grinch Stole Christmas as our theme. I was the dissenting vote, since creating a life-sized version of a Dr. Seuss classic out of office supplies struck me as overly ambitious. But no one was swayed, so I just rolled with it, figuring I could tack up a clever Whoville sign or something on the day of judging.

On Friday, a couple of co-workers mentioned that they were coming in over the weekend to get started on our decorations. Had I known that "get started" meant "stand on Evn's desk and hang a tree where his head goes," I might have shown up to help. And by "help," I mean "strongly encourage people to not stand on my desk and hang a tree where my head goes."

My employees assure me that the tree is not going to break loose and land on me. While I appreciate their confidence, this is the view several inches from my face:


Sometimes I miss working in retail.

9 comments:

Deborah said...

That's pretty flippin' radical. I'm impressed.

Evn said...

I'm terrified. This has got to be some kind of workplace safety violation.

Anonymous said...

*headdesk*

I would take all of 2 minutes to move that whole darned thing.

Cynthia
beweaver

Evn said...

Everyone's so proud of it, though.

Sigh.

Next year, I'm choosing the theme. "Solstice in Houston." We'll all wear shorts.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahah

*sigh*

Cynthia

georges! said...

Remember when you decorated your dorm door with that blowup doll with christmas balls for nipple rings? You should retaliate with something like that.

Anne Johnson said...

I would hang my uneaten lunch items on that thing. That's what we did in Detroit.

Evn said...

Georges: If I could do so without getting fired for sexual harassment, I'd definitely think about it.

Evn said...

Anne: Excellent idea... except we won the decorating contest. So now I don't mind it so much, because free pizza.