Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Three's Company Too (ba-dum, ba-dum dum)

So yesterday was my birthday. (Yeah, yeah, whatever, I'm 32, nothing cool happens at 32). My parents took Jack and me out for a lovely dinner. When we returned home, Jack checked the voicemail and announced, "Hey, Mike called to say Happy Birthday."

"Cool," I said. "I'll call him back tomorrow." And then I went to bed.

When I got home from work today, I went through the Caller ID to find Mike's number. The number that came up as "Unknown" didn't look like his, but I figured he got a new cell phone or something. I dialed, and someone who sounded just like Mike answered:

"Hello?"

"Hello! I saw you called."

"Oh, hey, yeah! Did you get my message?"

"Jack got it, but thanks!"

"You're welcome! Did you have good birthday?"

"Yes, I did!"

And so the conversation went. Until suddenly, I thought, "Hey, wait a second, this isn't Mike..."

Turns out Mike and the illustrious Red Delicious sound exactly the same over the phone. We chatted for a good five minutes before I figured out who I was talking to.

And good thing I realized what I did when I did. Otherwise, I might have unknowingly made a comment about how, many years ago, Mike and I had a lot of sex.

Which would have made Red Delicious start to worry about all those times in college I made him give me back rubs.

Yeah, that would've been awkward. Good thing it's all cleared up now.

No comments: