Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Have attitude problem, will travel

I was walking up to my office yesterday, along with a group of people from our commissioned sales department, none of whom I really know. One of them, a squatty little man who might possibly be attractive if he was taller and didn't have a beer belly, gestured to my messenger bag and smirked, "Nice murse."

"Murse?" I asked, confused. "What's a murse?"

"Man purse," he replied, still smirking.

"Oh. Okay, um, thanks." Normally I'm a little quicker on the uptake, but I was kind of flustered. First of all, regardless of gender, purses are generally used to carry personal, not professional items: wallets and chewing gum and tissue and such. Since my bag is normally full of papers and office supplies and books, it really falls more into the briefcase category. That aside, why was this random goblin riding me about it? Granted, Napoleon complexes are tough to shake, but why take it out on me?

I decided to just ignore him, since "interacting with dickheads" isn't included in my job description, but he wouldn't let it drop.

"It's very European." He sneered. "Going to Europe?"

"Yes." I said.

"You are?" he asked, suddenly surprised.

"Yes, I'm going to Europe." I have no idea where this came from, since I am not going to Europe anytime in the foreseeable future. In terms of acerbic one-liners, it was pretty pathetic. I didn't even say it convincingly.

"Oh hey, that's cool! Have fun in Europe!" he said cheerily as I got off the elevator. At this point, I wasn't sure which bugged me more: that I seem to have lost my power to craft split-second snappy comebacks, or that a moron with playground issues may make more money than I do.

Perhaps I need a vacation.

3 comments:

treecat said...

Perhaps I need a vacation.

Perhaps you should take it in Europe

treecat said...

Yikes, just gotta say that the Captcha code below is Itchfvku!

That is just too silly to let pass.

Evn said...

That is far too silly to let pass.

"Doctor, ever since the last time I fvked, I've had this terrible itch..."