Monday, July 11, 2005

To be or not to be unemployed

One more weekend of the show, and then I'm free! Free! Except I got cast in the next show, and rehearsals have already started! I'm going to go insane! Wheeee!

Seriously, I really should not be doing another show right now. I've got a lot on my plate at the moment, what with work and chores and practicing Witchcraft. But the artistic director of the theatre asked me to audition ("We have something in mind for you," she said), and the martyr/attention whore in me jumped at the opportunity.

There's a deep, dark, secret part of me that wonders if I could make a living as a professional actor. Sure, it would suck for awhile as I tried to wedge my feet in various doors around town, but if I stuck to regional work and didn't hop a plane to Hollywood and delude myself into thinking I was on the way to my very own sitcom, I could probably do okay.

I really, really love performing (probably part of why I'm drawn to religions with a lot of ritual and occasional costuming), but I'm also highly competitive, a terrible self-critic, and rejection makes me break things. While I very well might be able to pull off a modest acting career, I'm not sure it would be worth all the emotional and property damage I'd leave in my wake.

So maybe I should just stick to writing. At least as a writer, I'm less likely to be turned down for a job over my nose being kind of off-center.

No comments: