Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Road tripping for the sake of the children

Jack's youngest brother, Jake, e-mailed me a couple of days ago. Seems he's doing a PowerPoint presentation on poets for one of his classes, and wanted to know if he could include some of my work. So I'm totally honored: I have my first teenaged fan! I feel like such a pop icon right about now. When his teacher read some of my poems, though, she said they were too "vulgar" to be included. So now I'm thrilled. I feel like a pop icon AND J.D. Salinger.

Jake's teacher asked him how he found out about me, and he announced that he knew me personally: that in fact, I was his brother's partner, to which his teacher responded, "That's gross." Now, I really don't care one way or the other how she feels about my work (because small-town computer teachers make the best literary critics...), and honestly, I don't care what opinion she holds about my relationships. However, I am NOT amused that she would insult Jake's brother to his face. Not cool. Not cool at all. Here's my cunning plan: I'm going to wait until Jake's out of school for the semester (bitchy, ignorant teachers tend to take out their anger and resentments on their students), then contact the woman, explaining to her that she can have any opinion of me she wants, but her comments to Jake completely discredit her as an educator. I'm also going to strongly suggest, in order to "prevent further action," that she and her immediate supervisor apologize to Jake in writing.

If worse comes to worse, I'll bop on up to the Corpus Christi area and have a nice, sit-down chat with her in person. More than likely, it won't come to that, but I'm all geared up for it. Jack's ready to bring down the Lamda Legal Defense and the ACLU, but I'm thinking it can be handled a little more quietly (although no less effectively).

If I get killed by a group of rabid, homophobic, Southern high school teachers, though, I totally demand a national holiday. And a made-for-TV movie.

No comments: