Wednesday, April 14, 2004

It's problem, cause, SOLUTION, people

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately. Some of them are very, very funny, and others showcase interesting perspectives on society, and some... well, some are kind of bitchy. Don't get me wrong: I'm all for free expression and the healthy release of anger, but I'm getting a little tired of complaint without follow-through. That is, the mentality of "This given situation pisses me off; it's an annoyance that no one should have to put up with; however I have no imput as to solutions that would make this situation better; I just like ranting."

Maybe this comes from my forensics background, where the "Problem, Cause, Solution" model was drilled into my head through Persuasive Speaking and Program of Oral Interpretation. In those events, you identify a particular problem, explore the root causes, and offer feasible solutions. I wish there was a way to apply this model to some of the blogs I've come across. Unless the authors just like being in constant bad moods, in which case, the Internet is slowly turning into a passive-agressive pissing contest: " You think YOU'VE had a bad day? Well here's what happened to me today on the elevator..."

Overall, I think society in general could benefit from this. Angry Poets would still be able to rant about social injustice, but could follow up with a list of all the things they're going to do to work towards improvement of the situation. The Democrats could win the next election by working cohesively towards a common goal instead of just chanting "We want Bush out of office" and waiting for it to happen. Rush Limbaugh would implode. The world would be a beautiful place, my little friends.

(Ed. note: yes, I have posted bitchy, whiny journal entries in the past, so this entry is both hypocritical and self-righteous. Thanks for noticing!)

No comments: