Thursday, July 24, 2003

The Hostess with the Mostest

Went to Helios last night, read new stuff, received applause. Fiarly standard, except that at the end of the evening, the host announced that I was going to start hosting next week, and everyone cheered. Big ol' boost to the ego, that.

My buddy Howard Michael was last night's spotlight poet, and he read a series of themed poems "What it would sound like if various other poets had written William Carlos Williams' 'The Red Wheelbarrow.'" We are talking classic comedic and literary entertainment, people. In the Edgar Allen Poe version, the protagonist trips over a wheelbarrow and has his eyes pecked out by chickens... in verse. Brilliant brilliant brilliant.

I think I'm going to write a "Red Wheelbarrow" poem about Sarah Crowder: "I get it now / I know what I am / A wheelbarrow / A red wheelbarrow / For you to carry the things you want planted / All over your frickin' farm / And then you'll leave out in the rain, / Forgotten and rusty / Which one of us is more full of chickenshit?"

No comments: