Wednesday, June 25, 2003

The Play's the Thing

So I'm in a play right now: "You Can't Take it With You," at a local (say it ain't so) community theatre, directed by one of my former forensics students/ex-roommate. It's a wonderful script (it's like "Dharma and Greg," but set in the 30's), and Joey's a brilliant director, but some of the cast members are starting to wear on me. Rehearsals feel fairly unfocused... people are getting distracting easily, and there's been occasional "well that's not how I'd do it" grumblings. Overall, I think it's going to be a good show, but I'm not envying Joey having to deal with all of us right now.

Actually, I'm trying to be a good lil' actor this time around. Last year, Joey cast me in a play he was directing as a senior project, and I was quite the little prima donna, if I do say so myself: demanding explanations for every direction he gave me, rolling my eyes a lot, etc. He never said anything to me about it, but looking back on the series of events, I was being a terrible ass to him.

Part of the problem was simply that he was my student, and I wasn't ready to un-reign him, as it were, and let him make decisions on his own. I feel really guilty about this now, to the point where I actually said to a castmate, "Joey is the director, and it is not our place to question his decisions." Heil! Rama Rama!

I'm sure Joey is starting to suspect I'm schizophrenic, but at least I'm feeling less diva-ish. At some point, Beyoncé and I will have to sit down together and compare notes on how misaligned we are.

No comments: